Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Baby purchases

Ever since I found out that I was pregnant I have wanted to go baby shopping! And of course, I only want the best things for Baby Smith! I have spent hours researching products and brands and I feel like I am now able to make some good, knowledgeable choices. One of our first purchases was the Baby Bjorn Synergy carrier. I went with the Synergy over the Original carrier, because it has a mesh fabric that is suppose to be more breathable and cooler. And I also picked it because it has an extra lumbar back support strap. I am a pretty small person and I am worried that carrying the baby in the carrier will hurt my back, so hopefully the extra lumbar support will help! I can't wait to carrry Baby Smith around at the zoo, the mall, farmers market, etc. in this cute new carrier! I can just imagine cute Spencer carrying the baby around in this, he is going to love it! :)

Another big purchase that we've made (thanks to Mark and Tammy) is our crib and matching changing table! We found this darling crib at Babies R'Us and Spencer and I just fell in love with the color. It is also a lifetime crib, so when the baby gets older we will be able to turn it into a toddler bed and also a full size bed. Pretty cool!
Spencer and I have decided that we are going to use cloth diapers for Baby Smith. I know, it sounds it a little weird, but it really seems to be the best choice. First of all it will be cheaper to buy cloth diapers instead of disposable diapers in the long run. The average child uses 6000 diapers before they are potty trained! That many diapers costs between $2000-$3000! With cloth diapers, you can expect to spend a total of $700-$800. We bought some cloth diapers last night that are just like the one in the picture. They are Bumgenius Pocket diapers 4.0 with snaps instead of velcro. These diapers grow with the child, they have snaps on the front so that you can make the diaper bigger or smaller depending on the weight and size of the child. They work for kids weighing 7-35+ pounds. So far we have a green, orange and periwinkle diaper. They are so cute!! Cloth diapers are a good choice because they are better for the environment (less waste), they're cheaper and better for the child's skin (less diaper rash).

2 comments:

  1. You should make some cloth diapers. You can look online and find free patterns and then customize it to your liking. We know a ton of couples going the cloth route. I've thought about it too. I am so ready to be a mom. I can't wait to go shopping and buy fun baby stuff.

    Are you going to find out what the baby is? We aren't. I think it would be fun not to know. Good luck shopping! Cute stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea! I never thought about making diapers. Yes, we are going to find out the sex of the baby. I don't think I could wait! lol Baby shopping is SO MUCH FUN! seriously. Are you preggo now or just hoping to be soon?

    ReplyDelete